Contact: Wendel Sloan at 575.562.2253
ENMU Presenting 'Rabbit Hole' on February 10-12
by Robin Haislett
ENMU Communication Services
PORTALES--Eastern New Mexico University will host the production of “Rabbit Hole” at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 10 through Saturday, Feb. 12 and at 2 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 13 on the mainstage of the University Theatre Center on the Portales campus.
Ticket prices are $5 for everyone.
The cast consists of Mandi Hatcher, Victoria Wright, Jeremy Gardels, Sherry Carpenter, Brittany Hoover, Charlotte Quintana, Rose Kelly and Robert Garcia with Danielle McCollum as stage manager.
Rabbit Hole is about a family coping with the sudden loss of their young son to a car accident. Director Janeice Scarbrough chose the Pulitzer Prize winning and Tony award winning play to bring to the theatre department because of the style and tone of the play. Departing from the raucous comedy or Shakespearian drama, this mainstage production focuses on “real people speaking the way we do, dealing with real pain,” according to Scarbrough. Hatcher, a transfer student making her ENMU debut in the production, says, “I’m not a fan of the overdramatic; this is very to-the-heart, gritty and real.”
The film adaptation, now nominated for an Oscar, remains unwatched by the cast and crew as required by Scarbrough. Her intent is to not let the performance become too much like the movie and allow the audience to appreciate this interpretation of the material.
With the first rehearsal only three weeks away from opening night, the cast and crew have worked tirelessly to do the script justice. Contrary to the time constraints, Gardels, a Clovis native, is not feeling the pressure. “Everyone works well off each other,” says Gardels.
Scarbrough supports this statement with her insight that 90 percent of directing is casting and the other 10 percent is the love of the material. The cast working on their lines together outside of rehearsal is one of the testaments that Scarbrough cast this play well.
Another unique feature of Rabbit Hole is that freshmen are included. Not only are freshmen present in the performance with Wright and Hoover, but behind the scenes as stage manager. McCollum has learned quickly in her role as stage manager and is “enjoying every minute of it.”
Scarbrough believes that high school audiences will be impacted by this play. The accident which the play revolves around involves a seventeen-year-old which may resonate deeper with audiences of that age. “Community members and teachers will enjoy this but it may ring truer with high school audiences,” says Scarbrough.
Gardels says audiences will be treated to a play with “subtle depth. It can be cathartic and affirming but it will certainly make you think.”
For more information, call 575-562-2711.