Vol. 4, No. 7 Published by Assessment Resource Office, ENMU Date: 12-4-96
In 1992, Eastern New Mexico University was surveyed to determine the campus climate regarding cultural diversity. The study provided an important starting point for early stages of planning for cultural diversity. Four years later, in the spring of 1996, the Diversity Survey was again distributed to the campus community, with the hope that it would provide important information regarding changes in the campus environment on cultural diversity, informing the campus in what areas we are improving, and in what areas more attention is required.
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Diversity Survey was administered to the employees of Eastern through The Monday Memo and students were surveyed through selected courses. The student sample consisted of 213 students of which 92 (43%) were male, 119 (55.9%) were female, and 2 (.9%) responded "no response." The employee sample consisted of 95 employees of which 38 (40%) were male, 56 (58.9%) were female, and 1 (1.1%) responded "no response."
Student ethnicity was reported as: Asian/Asian-American 5 (2.3%), African American 8 (3.8%), Caucasian 143 (67.1%), Hispanic 47 (22.1%), Native American 6 (2.8%), and other 1 (.5%). The majority of the students 125 (58.7%) fell in the age range 17-22, while the remaining 44 (41.3%) were age 23 and/or above.
Faculty respondents reported the following classifications: faculty 41 (43.2%), administration 5 (5.3%), professional 28 (29.5%), support staff 19 (20%), and "no response" 2 (2.1%). Eastern employees reported the following ethnic backgrounds: Asian/Asian-American 1 (1%), African American 3 (3.2%), Caucasian 82 (86.3%), Hispanic 5 (5.3%), Native American 0, other 2 (2.1%), and "no response" 2 (2.1%). It is important to note that the employee sample is smaller than that in 1992, and it is more predominately white.
The results from the survey are reported in this issue and the following issue of the DATAWave. In general, and subjectively, I believe the results of the survey are positive. It appears that great strides have been made in improving the Eastern climate with regards to diversity issues.
|1. Many ENMU faculty have difficulty relating to minority students.
||2. ENMU needs to hire more minority faculty.
|3. ENMU offers a variety of multicultural events and programs to its students.
||4. There are enough minority staff members on the ENMU campus.
|5. Programs focusing on the cultural adjustment of minority students to predominantly white institutions are needed at ENMU.
||6. In my opinion, more ethnic courses should be offered at ENMU.
|7. Programs are needed to sensitize ENMU faculty to racial issues.
||8. I occasionally attend programs and events designed to further understanding of diverse ethnic groups.
|9. I have witnessed or experienced racial discrimination on the ENMU campus.
||10. The living environment in university housing at ENMU promotes cross-racial/cultural interaction.
|11. Each ENMU student should be required to take at least one ethnic course as part of their general studies requirement.
||12. Programs are needed to sensitize ENMU students to racial issues.
|13. There is a lack of communication among students of different races/nationalities at ENMU.
||14. It is important for courses, whenever applicable,to include material or activities that represent multicultural perspectives.
|15. I would be interested in attending seminars, workshops, etc., designed to further my understanding of diverse ethnic or cultural groups.
||16. Most ENMU faculty promote the concept of racial equality in the classroom.
|17. ENMU programs established to aid minority students are frequently viewed by minority students as being of little value.
||18. The minority student experience differs greatly from that of the non-minority student at ENMU.