ENMU > Future Students > Military > Frequently Asked Questions for Military Students

Frequently Asked Questions for Military Students

General Admission Questions

Transfer Students

General Admission Questions

What is ENMU's application deadline?
You should apply for admission at least 30 days before the start of your first semester, but you don't have to wait. We recommend that you apply online as soon as possible.

What are the application requirements for Military Students?
For Military students (active duty and veterans) we only require an admissions application to be submitted in order to be admitted to the university. However, for purposes of advising and in order to receive credit for previous college coursework, we do ask that Military students submit official copies of their previous college coursework at some point during or after the admissions process.

Do I have to pay an application fee?
No. Applying to ENMU is free.

How long will it take to find out if I've been admitted?
Once you have completed and submitted your admissions application, it takes two to three days to process. We will mail an acceptance letter within the working week.

Do I need to submit references or write an essay for my application? Is there an interview?
ENMU doesn't require references, essays or interviews for admission.

Do I have to take a physical exam to be admitted?
You don't have to take a physical to be admitted to ENMU. Military students also receive a waiver of physical education core requirements.

Can I take a tour of the campus?
To see ENMU firsthand, schedule a campus visit. You can be our guest for a guided tour of campus, eat in the Crossroads dining hall and stay overnight in a residence hall. Tours are offered weekdays between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. It's best to schedule two weeks in advance. Call Enrollment Services at 575.562.2178 or 800.FOR.ENMU (800.367.3668) or schedule a campus tour online.

Do I qualify for in-state tuition?
All active duty military (stationed in New Mexico) personnel, veterans, and their families receive a tuition waiver, granting them in-state tuition.

Will I have to come to Portales to take courses?
No. Although, you will have the option to take any course that we offer on campus, you will also have the option to take any of our distance education courses, which are offered on base, and our online courses.

Transfer Students

Does Eastern offer scholarships for transfer students?
Yes. Check the list of transfer student scholarships or call Enrollment Services at 575.562.2178 or toll-free 800.FOR.ENMU.

If I made a D in a course at another college, will it transfer?
You can transfer the credit but it won't count toward requirements for your major or minor.

What is the difference between a semester and a quarter system?
Eastern operates on a semester system. Quarter systems have more sessions per year than semester systems. Because quarter system sessions are shorter, credit hours count for fewer hours if you transfer.


More Information

Questions? Contact ENMU's Cannon representative:

Cody Spitz
Cannon Air Force Base Representative

Or, call Enrollment Services at 800.FOR.ENMU. You can also send an email to Enrollment.Services@enmu.edu.