Status: Full-time position
Location: Odessa, TX
Job Summary: Performs duties relative to the preparation and administration of the Cityís budget and finances. Produces accurate and timely financial, technical and administrative work directed toward attaining and improving financial and budgetary objectives.
Minimum of Bachelorís degree in Accounting, Economics, Finance or related field.
Two (2) years of municipal or local government experience in a financial or analytical capacity. Extensive writing experience preferred.
Valid Texas Driverís License.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge of budgeting principles, accounting practices and financial reporting. Ability to interpret and manipulate data represented in the form of charts and graphs. Strong verbal and written communications skills, with particular emphasis placed on the ability to write in a concise and effective manner. Ability to perform complex financial and technical operations and provide accurate results within the time constraints established by City management. Strong organizational skills. Proficiency in Word and Excel. Knowledge of commercial off-the shelf software, such as Naviline HTE software preferred.
Duties: 1. Assists in the preparation of the annual budget. Conducts research. Analyzes and evaluates historical budgets, economic data and revenues to determine trends and make forecasts. Verifies accuracy of information to be included in annual budget. Prepares and represents findings in the form of written narratives, charts and graphs.
2. Reviews and evaluates proposed departmental and project budges, including operating, grant, capital and special project budgets. Assists in the preparation of the proposed City budget, in accordance with state statutes regulating municipal budgets and the levy of taxes.
3. Assist City departments in the development and administration of departmental budgets. Reviews department requests. Provides support for training. Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with department directors and other members of City staff.
4. Assists directors in identifying and evaluating potential budgetary problems and recommends solutions.
5. Assists in the preparation, design, composition and publication of the annual budget document in compliance with guidelines established by the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA).
6. Monitors the Cityís annual operating and capital improvement budgets.
7. Identifies operational inefficiencies. Recommends procedural changes to increase productivity and improve quality of work.
8. Researches, compiles, analyzes and prepares economic data for financial reporting purposes.
9. Discerns budgetary implications of agenda items. Researches, prepares and enters all budget amendments as authorized by City Council, in an accurate and timely manner.
10. Conducts research, prepares and records all budget transfers as authorized by City Manager.
11. Performs annual duties to accomplish a smooth transition to the new fiscal year. Administers departmental accounts and account security. Creates financial and budgetary reports using AS400 and monitors the Position Control Report.
12. Coordinates the application process for outside agencies and prepares the necessary payment request.
13. Prepares payment requests and generates weekly and monthly report for MOTOR-MPO.
14. Responds to surveys conducted by other governmental entities.
15. Oversees the Cityís annual General Fund Fee and Rate Survey.
16. Performs a wide variety of administrative, statistical and technical duties as needed.
To apply online, visit