Status: Full-time position
Location: Odessa, TX
Job Summary: The Housing Construction Coordinator is directly responsible for the coordination, oversight and administration of the CDBG and HOME Housing Rehabilitation/Reconstruction programs and the City’s Infill Housing Construction Program as well as responsible for providing direct construction assistance to members of the Odessa Housing Consortium. Coordinator is responsible for the assessment and evaluation of all construction improvements, lead based paint inspections, cost estimations, bid preparations, coordination of construction with contractors, coordination between city staff and property owners, project inspections, and project close outs. Coordinator will also be responsible for directing the marketing of the program and ensuring program compliance with all local building codes and state and federal program requirements.
Must possess at a minimum a Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Project Management, or related field or provide work experience and knowledge equivalent.
Minimum of 7 to 10 years experience in all phases of residential construction. Previous experience with electrical, plumbing, mechanical, building and other related trade codes required. Knowledge of local, state and federal housing requirements and regulations. Knowledge of the plan review and permitting process. Certification in Computer Aided Design (CAD). Possess or the ability to obtain lead-based paint certification within six months of employment.
Possess a valid Texas Driver License. Computer Aided Design (CAD) and Lead-based paint certifications required.
Excellent knowledge of the principles, methods, practices and techniques of building construction; socioeconomic conditions and environment of low income families; basic mathematics and some knowledge of interviewing. Ability to detect poor workmanship and inferior materials used in residential construction. Ability to ensure all local, state and federal codes are adhered to. Knowledge regarding city zoning regulations, environmental health and fire codes. Has a thorough understanding of project scope as well as the scope for specific construction trades and subcontractors. Has a working knowledge of industry-standard construction practices, able to interpret construction drawings and specification, communicates effectively with subcontractors, homeowners and other professionals. Considerable knowledge of construction contract forms, scheduling, budget and pricing practices and change order procedures. Advanced knowledge of construction scheduling and cost control; Strong organization, judgment, multi-tasking and decision-making abilities. Ability to read and understand procedures and policies; prepare, understand and interpret plans, specifications, and blueprints; analyze and compile statistical reports; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; work closely together with City departments and other community organizations. Ability to deal with the public and contractors. Knowledge of Computer Aided Design (CAD), lead-based paint and local, state and federal housing codes.
Duties: 1. Directly responsible for the oversight and management of all housing programs administered by the department, including Emergency Assistance, Minor Repair, Full Rehabilitation, Reconstruction, Infill Construction, Community Housing Development Organization (CHDO), Tenant Based Rental Assistance (TBRA) and subrecipient housing programs as they are funded.
2. Responsible for the oversight of the Housing Assistant and ensuring the initial intake of applicants and determining eligibility of applicant is performed properly. Responsible for ensuring the verification of information from applicants regarding income and property ownership is completed prior to project approval.
3. Directly responsible for conducting initial property inspections for all housing programs and determining any building code violations including but not limited to electrical, plumbing, and mechanical.
4. Directly responsible for the oversight of property inspections to ensure work to be performed meets all applicable codes, defining detailed scope of work for bid purposes and costs estimates.
5. Responsible for ensuring applicant is thoroughly informed of program policies and procedures including applicant rights and responsibilities.
6. Directly responsible for the lead-based paint inspection and assessments on all housing projects. Responsible for the determination of the appropriate action required as a result of lead based paint inspections.
7. Directly responsible for conducting lead-based paint testing on all housing structures as necessary.
8. Responsible for the computer aided design (CAD) and drafting of architectural floor plans for each housing rehabilitation/reconstruction and construction project.
9. Responsible for ensuring bid documents, advertising of each project is handled appropriately and all local, state and federal requirements are met.
10. Oversees the receiving of bids, tabulation of the bids and award bids for projects
11. Responsible for developing policies, procedures and methods to increase the productivity, efficiency and effectiveness of the Housing Programs.
12. Responsible for researching and providing statistics on new building techniques and products for possible implementation into the housing programs.
13. Directly responsible for recruiting contractors for the Housing Programs. Responsible for reviewing contractor work.
14. Responsible for overseeing the maintenance of insurance, license, and permit records on all contractors.
15. Responsible for arbitrating disputes between contractors and homeowners.
16. Responsible for ensuring that the work performed by construction contractors meets local, state and federal housing codes.
17. Directly responsible for preparing and submitting complete and accurate daily work and progress reports to the Department Director.
18. Responsible for enforcing all warranty work for each project.
19. Responsible for conducting environmental assessments on all housing projects.
20. Reviews data and documents and approves construction draws. Ensuring project completion meets the percentage request of the draw.
21. Responsible for assisting in the inspections and providing technical assistance to members of the Odessa Housing Consortium.
22. Performs other duties as assigned or required.
For more information or to apply online, visit