Job Type: Off Campus
Department: Curry County Adult Detention Center
Date Posted: 10/10/2012
Summary: Responsible for maintaining inmate security in Curry County Adult Detention Facility that houses up to 200 inmates, including enforcement of rules, preventing escapes, inmate escort; operates under direct supervision. Position requires working under stress.
Qualifications: 1. Must be twenty-one (21) years of age or older.
2. High School diploma or GED certificate. Two (2) years applicable experience is desired but not required.
3. Vision correctable to 20/20.
4. Successful passage of agility test, physical exam, psychological test, background investigation, and polygraph (if needed). An academic exam may be administered.
5. No felony convictions.
6. Able to write intelligible and complete reports and deal with situations requiring tact, understanding and good judgment; remain alert at all times and respond quickly in emergency situations; establish good working relationships with inmates and other staff members.
7. No DWI convictions within the past five (5) years.
8. A Detention Officer is an uncertified officer, with less than one (1) year of experience in detention work. Person must successfully pass forty (40) hours of accreditation course provided by Detention Center within the first year of employment.
Duties: Employee is responsible for enforcement of rules & regulations in detention facility, preventing escapes & riots, maintaining order & discipline among inmate, escorting inmates to and from cells and work assignments. Also responsible for operating and inspecting various security devices, reporting violations of rules & keeping count of inmates as assigned. Duties include controlling inmates from work stations or by patrolling cell blocks, dormitories, corridors and work areas; inspecting all areas of facility for unauthorized objects; checking sanitary conditions and fire and safety hazards; enforcing rules of conduct, security and labor standards by making written and verbal reports of significant violations or irregularities to supervisors. Employee must assist in supervision of inmates being transferred to other facilities or appearing in court; distributing cleaning and sanitation supplies as well as pick-up and delivery personal laundry and bedding; delivers mail and distributes medication as needed within policy guidelines. Employee must operate electric cell doors; control visitation of relatives, attorneys and others. Employee is expected to be familiar with federal, state and county and departmental laws and policies pertinent to the position, departmental directives, detention officer’s report manual, techniques and precautionary measures to be used in escort and supervision of inmates and typical behavior pattern of inmates; skill in use of camera and fingerprinting. Employee is expected to know and understand County Personnel Policies and perform any related work as required. Employee must be aware that position may involve life-threatening situations and act accordingly. Specific duties of adult detention officers are listed in the detention office manual. Work will largely be performed inside detention facility and some time spent in other areas. Employee must perform any other duties as required.
To apply, visit http://www.currycounty.org/job-openings/
For more information, contact:
Nancy Romero, Administrative Assistant
575.763.1490 ext 204
801 Mitchell Street, Clovis