Student Loans

Student loans, unlike grants and work-study, are borrowed money that must be repaid, with interest, just like car loans and home mortgages. You cannot have these loans canceled because you didn’t like the education you received, didn’t get a job in your field of study or because you’re having financial difficulty. Loans are legal obligations, so before you take out a student loan, think about the amount you’ll have to repay over the years. Your Federal Student Loans: Learn the Basics and Manage Your Debt can help you learn more about federal student loan debt.

ENMU realizes that some students will not receive enough money from grants and scholarships to cover all of the expenses associated with attending college.  In an effort to relieve the financial burden for these expenses, ENMU participates in several student loan programs. Below you will find descriptions of each lending program which we partake in.  For more information on student loans please contact Kelly Mitchell (Stafford Subsidized & Unsubsidized), or Lahoma Zhonnie (Perkins Loans).

Eastern will certify your loan and send it to your bank. The amount you are eligible to borrow depends on your grade level and dependency status provided to us via your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Repayment of loan and accrual of interest varies with the type of loan.

Stafford Subsidized Loans and Unsubsidized Loans

Stafford Loans are for undergraduate, graduate and professional degree students. You must be enrolled as at least a half-time* student to be eligible for a Stafford Loan. There are two types of Stafford Loans: subsidized and unsubsidized. You must have financial need to receive a subsidized Stafford Loan. The U.S. Department of Education will pay (subsidize) the interest that accrues on subsidized Stafford Loans during certain periods. Financial need is not a requirement to obtain an unsubsidized Stafford Loan. You are responsible for paying the interest that accrues on unsubsidized Stafford Loans. Please visit our lender page for a listing of commonly used lenders.  This list is in no way a comprehensive listing of all of the banks that issue Stafford loans.  If you would like to use a bank that is not listed on the commonly used lenders page you can; however, you must provide all of the information for that lender on your Stafford loan application. If you would like more information on Stafford loans please view our FAQ page, or contact Kelly Mitchell.

Federal Perkins Loans

A Federal Perkins Loan is a low-interest (5 percent) loan for students with exceptional financial need. Federal Perkins Loans are made through ENMU’s financial aid office. Your school is your lender, and the loan is made with government funds. You must repay this loan to your school. For more information on Perkins Loans please visit The U.S. Department of Education website, or contact Lahoma Zhonnie at the ENMU Financial Aid Office.

PLUS Loans for Parents

PLUS loans are loans parents can obtain to help pay the cost of education for their dependent undergraduate children. For a PLUS Loan, your parents must complete and submit a PLUS Loan application, available from a lender that participates in the PLUS loan program.

Also, your parents generally will be required to pass a credit check. If your parents don't pass the credit check, they might still be able to receive a loan if someone, such as a relative or friend who is able to pass the credit check, agrees to endorse the loan. Students attending ENMU whose parents are denied a PLUS loan from a bank may be eligible to receive additional unsubsidized funds. For more information on these loans please visit our FAQ page or contact Kelly Mitchell.

Have a Question? Contact Us!

Office of Financial Aid
ENMU Station 20
1500 S Ave K
Portales, NM 88130
Local phone: 575.562.2194
Toll-free: 800.FOR.ENMU
Fax: 575.562.2198

*students must be taking at least six credit hours to be considered half-time for undergraduate programs and at least five credit hours for graduate program.