Federal Pell Grant

A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants are only awarded to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree. Pell Grants are considered a foundation of federal financial aid, to which aid from other federal and nonfederal sources might be added.

The maximum Pell Grant award for the 2009-10 award year (July 1, 2009 to June 30, 2010), is $5,350. The maximum amount can change each award year and depends on program funding. The amount you get, though, will depend not only on your financial need, but also on your costs to attend school, your status as a full-time or part-time student, and your plans to attend school for a full academic year or less.

The amount of Pell Grant you may be eligible to receive will be based on the Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) amount that is located on your Student Aid Report (SAR). The student aid report is generated and emailed to you whenever you complete the FAFSA online. If you never received a copy of your student aid report via email, please click to be directed to the FAFSA website and simply click “View and Print Your Student Aid Report” under Step 3.


You can obtain an approximation of your EFC and any federal aid you may qualify for by creating a free profile for use on the Department of Education FAFSA4Caster website. ENMU Financial Aid recommends for students to utilize this helpful tool early and often.

Have a Question? Contact Us!

Office of Financial Aid
ENMU Station 20
1500 S Ave K
Portales, NM 88130
Local phone: 575.562.2194
Toll-free: 800.FOR.ENMU
Fax: 575.562.2198