Wearing Your Academic Regalia
Commencement is a special occasion that has procedures that emphasize dignity and formality. The following are amenities that shall be observed.
- Women and Men - The cap should be worn square on the top of the head with the front point about the middle of the forehead.
- Tassel on Cap
- Associate degree candidates will wear the tassel on the right throughout the exercises.
- Master degree candidates will wear the tassel on the left throughout the exercises.
- All other candidates will be asked to stand to move the tassel from right to left once all diploma covers are handed out.
- Caps and gowns - No writing or attachments other than the tassel are allowed on the caps and no flowers or adornments beyond academic ribbons and cords shall be worn on the gown. We will be checking your caps and if any writing or attachments other than the tassel are on the cap we will be giving you a new one.
Commencement is a significant experience for most graduates as well as their family and friends, so misconduct at this function cannot be tolerated. Eastern New Mexico University is a state institution and the possession or use of alcohol or a controlled substance is prohibited on University premises. Anyone found with alcohol, a controlled substance or acting in an intoxicated or disorderly manner will be escorted from the building and not allowed to return. Please help us make this a cherished and memorable event.
- Faculty will assemble in the corridors of the lower level of Greyhound Arena at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, December 13, 2014. Faculty listed on the south will proceed to the south corridor. Faculty listed on the north will proceed to the north corridor.
- Degree candidates listed in odd number rows report to the south corridor, lower level Greyhound Arena at 9:15 a.m., December 13, 2014. Enter the south auxiliary gymnasium and a list of names and rows will be posted to assist you in preparing for the processional.
- Degree candidates listed in even number rows report to the north corridor, lower level Greyhound Arena at 9:15 a.m., December 13, 2014. Enter the north auxiliary gymnasium and a list of names and rows will be posted to assist you in preparing for the processional.
* Communication Services will be set up in the lower gyms for students to take candid photos before finding their place in line. These pictures will be featured on our website as a thank you to family and friends.
* As we prepare to process, all degree candidates will be given a card with their name, which they will take to the stage to be used by the announcer. Prior to the start of the ceremony, we ask that you take the time to write your contact information including address, e-mail, and cell phone number on the back of your cards. This information will be used by our photographers to send you picture proofs via mail, e-mail, and/or text message. Proofs will be sent via e-mail and text message as soon as 48 hours after the ceremony. Mailed proofs may take several days.
* Master degree candidates will carry their hoods draped across their left arm through the processional and to the stage where they will be hooded.
Faculty and graduates will proceed to their seats as directed by the marshals. Following the presentation of colors, national anthem, and alma mater, Dr. Gamble will step to the microphone and request a moment of silence. It is appropriate for men to remove their caps during the national anthem and the moment of silence, then replace them when Dr. Gamble invites the assemblage to be seated.
Following remarks, Dr. Gamble will introduce the vice president, who will introduce the deans of each college, who will present degree candidates for their college in the following order:
- Graduate School
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- College of Fine Arts
- College of Education and Technology
- College of Business
The deans will instruct students in their college to stand. Once all students from one college are standing, the president will confer the degrees and the students will be instructed to sit. We will move through all colleges and degrees in this manner.
Presentation of Diplomas
Dr. Gamble will then call for students to come to the stage to receive diplomas. The entire last row will stand together as directed by the Marshal on the extreme right hand side of the row. As soon as there is room for the next row to move out into the aisle at the extreme right, the Marshal will have the row stand and follow the previous row to the stage. All rows proceed in the above manner.
- Undergraduate degrees - Students receiving undergraduate degrees will give the name card to Ms. Teresa L. Baker-Evans on their approach to the stage. When a student's name is called, he or she will move to the Regent member who will hand the student the diploma cover. Students then leave the stage and return to their row and are seated at once.
- Master's degrees - Students receiving master's degrees will be hooded on stage. As they approach the stage, they will have the hood draped over their left arm and will be joined by the faculty member who will be involved in their hooding. Ms. Teresa L. Baker-Evans will take the name card from the candidates. When Ms. Geni Flores calls a name the student will move to the Regent member who will hand the student the diploma cover. The student will then step to the dean, and the hood will be placed on the student while the student faces the audience. Students then leave the stage and return to their rows and are seated at once.
* This year we will have a team of three photographers to take three different photos of each candidate as he or she walks across the stage. The first photo will be a close-up taken at the bottom of the ramp. The second photo will be the handshake with the stage member. The third photo will be taken in front of the gonfalon after stepping off of the ramp. The photographers will be taking these photos very quickly, so please be aware.
* If you prefer not to shake hands with the members on the stage, hold the diploma cover with both hands as you walk across the stage.
* Diplomas will not be included in the diploma cover at the time of graduation. They will be mailed to you in about six weeks after the grades have been reported to the Office of the Registrar.
Following closing remarks by the president, all will stand and the recessional is in the order of the processional. Administration, faculty, and then students will exit the arena area. There will be a reception in the south gym for graduates and their families immediately following commencement.
Other Items Of Which You Need To Be Aware
- Alumni Association - The University hopes you will continue your relationship by becoming an active member of the Alumni Association. Please keep us informed of your mailing address when changes occur. Please send any changes to the Association at ENMU Station #48, or call at 575-562-2125.
- Release of Diplomas and Transcripts - Diplomas and transcripts will not be mailed for any student that has a financial obligation to the Office of Student Accounts.
- Transcripts - Transcript requests can be made online through the MYENMU screen. If you need instructions, contact the Office of the Registrar. There is currently no charge for transcripts.
Congratulations on your accomplishment of degree completion. We hope you have fond memories of your time at ENMU. If you have questions in the future concerning your records, please contact us for any assistance.
Order of March
The order of march is: administration, faculty marshals, faculty, student marshals, students and deans.
The order of leaving the arena is: administration and deans, faculty, faculty marshals, students receiving degrees and student marshals.