PORTALES, NM – March 31, 2021 – Eastern New Mexico University Greyhound Promise Scholarship Program offers a financial opportunity for undergraduate students who plan to become New Mexico teachers. Students who choose to earn a bachelor’s degree through ENMU’s Teacher Education Program and who commit to a four-year obligation to teach within New Mexico qualify to apply for the scholarship award.
Dr. Kathleen Wagner, associate professor of educational studies and assistant dean of the College of Education and Technology, pointed out the Greyhound Promise scholarship’s advantages for both students and education in the state of New Mexico.
"The Greyhound Promise Scholarship supports individuals in achieving their dream of becoming a teacher," Wagner said. "It also helps students across New Mexico as dedicated teacher candidates commit to the profession and stay in New Mexico to make a positive impact in our state."
Greyhound Promise Scholarship Applications for the 2021–22 academic year may be submitted beginning April 1, 2021
Eligible students must:
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Meet ENMU undergraduate admission requirements.
- Pursue an undergraduate degree in one of ENMU’s teacher education programs
- First-year students: Must have a minimum ACT score of 20 and a 2.75 high school GPA.
- Continuing, former or returning students Have a minimum of 30 earned college hours with a 2.75 cumulative college GPA.
- Transfer students Have a minimum of 24 earned college hours with a 2.75 cumulative college GPA.
- Sign annual program completion and teacher service agreements.
- Meet ENMU’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy requirements for bachelor’s degree seekers.
In-state teacher education students have the opportunity to choose from the Greyhound Promise Scholarship, the ENMU Foundation Starter, or New Mexico Lottery Success Scholarship (only one state-funded award maybe awarded each semester). Out-of-state teacher education students who are awarded the Greyhound Promise Scholarship will receive up to the cost of full-time in-state undergraduate tuition and mandatory student fees.
More information about the Greyhound Promise Scholarship Program is available at www.enmu.edu/GreyhoundPromise
Eastern New Mexico University
Assistant Dean, College of Education