Explore This Section

< Back to application Information for International Students

F1 VISA Status

When you enter the United States on a student visa, you will usually be admitted for the duration of your student status. That means you may stay as long as you are a full time student (full time international students can enroll in one online class), even if the F-1 visa in your passport expires while you are in America. For a student who has completed the course of studies shown on the I-20, and any authorized practical training, the student is allowed an additional 60 days, to prepare for departure from the U.S. or to transfer to another school.

As an example regarding duration of status, if you have a visa that is valid for five years that will expire on January 1, 2012, and you are admitted into the U.S. for the duration of your studies (often abbreviated in your passport or on your I-94 card as "D/S"), you may stay in the U.S. as long as you are a full time student (full time international students can enroll in one online class). Even if January 1, 2012 passes and your visa expires while in America, you will still be in legal student status. However, if you depart the U.S. with an expired visa, you will need to obtain a new one, applying at an Embassy abroad, before being able to return to America and resume your studies. F1 visa status is provided to international students who come to the U.S. to pursue their educational goals, these students are required to maintain a sound educational standing and follow all immigration rules.


J1 VISA Status

ENMU provides valuable opportunities to Chinese students to experience the U.S. education system and exchange cultural knowledge, therefore developing lasting and meaningful relationships.

Many students from China choose ENMU through a 1-2-1 program with World American Cultural Exchange (WACE). Through the 1-2-1 program, students from China can get dual degrees for Sichuan University and Eastern. They attend their first year of college in China and will then spend two years studying at Eastern before returning to China their final year to graduate. Their degrees will be from both Sichuan and Eastern. Students on J1 Visa type are allowed to stay in the United States as long as they are full time students (full time international students can enroll in one online class).

J1 Visa students can stay in the U.S. for their program's duration according to WACE, which has always been 2 years.