The financial planning certificate program is designed for students and individuals working in the areas of financial planning, accounting, insurance, banking and investment. Financial planning means much more than just investing. A financial planner should be familiar with budgeting, estate planning, insurance planning, insurance planning, retirement planning, saving for education, and tax planning.
The extensive PFP program helps you understand the complexities of the changing financial climate and allows you to make the right recommendations to your perspective clients. Once you complete this program, you will be able to sit for the Certified Financial Planning®examination.
We have several options available for you to earn your PFP Certificate of Completion. The PFP program is available as:
- An emphasis area for ENMU business majors and students seeking a Bachelor of University Studies
- A certificate program for those who are:
- Current ENMU students in other disciplines
- Those who already have a business bachelor's degree
- Students who have a bachelor's degree but aren't necessarily business majors
- Transfer students who do have college credits, but who may or may not be business majors
- A Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences (BAAS) concentration for those who have an Associate of Applied Science (AAS), Associate of Science (AS) with a technical or vocational major from an accredited Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA)-recognized organization.
Scholarships and Financial Assistance
We are committed to helping you finance your education. In addition to grants, loans, and scholarships offered University-wide, the College of Business offers 29 scholarships for which you can apply. Additionally, many ENMU students work part-time jobs on campus to help finance their education.
How do I Enroll in the PFP Program
- If you are a current student working on your Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) or a Bachelor of University Studies (BUS): Choose personal financial planning as your emphasis area.
- If you have earned any bachelor’s (which may or may not be a business degree) and you are not currently taking courses: Apply for admission to get a second bachelor's degree (you'll only need to take the 21 credit hours of courses to be certified to sit for the CFP® exam). You may also apply as a professional, just for the PFP Certificate program (as a non-degree student), however you will not be eligible for financial aid. In either case, you must submit your college transcript(s) to be admitted into the PFP Certificate program.
- If you have an associate degree from an accredited CHEA-recognized institution: Apply for admission as a transfer student to get your BAAS degree. For the BAAS degree, you must have at least 30 credit hours of technical/vocational coursework. If you do not have the technical/vocational work, then you should apply for the BBA rather than the BAAS program.
- If you have college credit hours, but not a degree, and you want to transfer to ENMU: Apply for admission as a transfer student.
Before you can take PFP 410, the capstone course, you must complete the six 300-level courses. The PFP 300 level courses do not have to be taken in sequence. All courses must be completed with a grade of "C" or higher.
The financial planning certificate program requires completion of the following courses (21 credit hours)
|PFP 310 Personal Finance||3|
|PFP 320 Business Risk Management and Insurance||3|
|PFP 330 Investments: Principles and Policies||3|
|PFP 340 Tax Planning||3|
|PFP 350 Retirement Planning||3|
|PFP 360 Estate Planning||3|
|PFP 410 Financial Plan Development||3|
Note: ENMU only issues a "Certificate of Completion" that enables you to sit for the CFP® exam. The University does not award the CFP® certification. CFP® certification is granted only by Certified Financial Planning® Board of Standards, Inc. to those persons who, in addition to completing an educational requirement such as this CFP® Board Registered Program, have met its ethics, experience and examination requirements.
For More Information Contact
Professor of Finance
College of Business (COB), Room 210
At ENMU, our mission is to combine a traditional learning environment with 21st century technology to provide a rich educational experience with excellent teaching and active learning. ENMU emphasizes liberal learning, freedom of inquiry, cultural diversity and whole student life. With affordable tuition, evening classes as well as select online courses, we offer an education that fits your lifestyle and puts your career goals within reach. If you are interested in financial planning degree programs we encourage you to learn more about Eastern New Mexico University’s financial planning certificate program.