International Graduate Students

An international student is any student attending Eastern New Mexico University on a non-immigrant visa. Legally admitted immigrants and refugees are not classified as international students. If you are a legally admitted immigrant or refugee, please follow the application procedures for domestic graduate students.

Find out more about application procedures for non-international students >

Application Procedures

International students are required to be full-time students at ENMU-Portales. Admission does not apply to any branch campus of ENMU.
Your file will be evaluated and considered for admission when the following have been received:

  • Application for Admission to ENMU's Graduate School – be sure to indicate desired major in a specific field in the degree program portion of the application.
  • Financial statement (see financial section which follows)
  • TOEFL minimum score of 79 (iBT) or 550 (written test) or complete the highest level of an intensive English program for admission.
  • Official results of a professional independent transcript evaluation service – for all post-secondary coursework. No hand-carried documents will be accepted.

Financial Information

You must complete a financial support form and return with your signed application. The estimated expenses for one academic year required by the Office of International Student Advising for your I-20 Form is:

Tuition and fees: $9,342
Room and board: $8,212
Other (textbooks, supplies, and insurance): $2,600
Total: $20,154

See Graduate Tuition and Fees

English Proficiency Requirements

All international students must meet English proficiency requirements to be admitted to the University. These requirements may be met by one of the following:

  • TOEFL minimum score of 79 (iBT) or 550 (written test)
  • Complete the highest level of an approved intensive English program (report must be on file before student is allowed to register).

An English proficiency examination will be given to all incoming international graduate students, with the following exceptions:

  • Graduate students who received their baccalaureate degree from a college or university in the United States
  • International students who speak English as their native language
  • Transfer students with at least 9 credit hours of transfer coursework credit from other U.S. colleges
  • Upon recommendation of the authorized person designated by the Coordination Committee for International Students

Based upon the results of the aforementioned English Proficiency examination, you may be required to enroll in three to six hours of English as a Second Language coursework during your first semester at ENMU.

Pertinent Immigration and Naturalization Service Regulations

All F-1 students must maintain full-time student status for both the fall and spring semesters. This requires that you complete 9 graduate credit hours per semester. Any deviation from this must be approved by the international student advisor.

As an international student, you may not work off-campus. On-campus employment is permitted under certain conditions.

It is important to keep in mind the signature you use for all records while you are in the United States should be the same as the one you use in your passport.

Apply to ENMU Graduate School

Helpful Links

Still have questions about the ENMU experience?

Our President's Ambassadors are available to answer any questions you may have. Send them a short note.

Ask an Ambassador

For More Information

Graduate School
ENMU Station 24
1500 S Ave K
Portales, NM 88130
800.FOR.ENMU (800.367.3668)
Phone: 575.562.2147
Fax: 575.562.2500
International Programs
ENMU Station 2
1500 S Ave K
Portales, NM 88130
800.FOR.ENMU (800.367.3668)
Phone: 575.562.4697