Public relations practitioners live and work in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment. In this exciting, never-a-dull-moment profession, students must possess eight primary skills following graduation. Those skills are:
- exceptional writing skills
- understanding of how to write for different audiences
- ability to think creatively and strategically
- photography and design experience
- web design and video production
- the ability to create and nurture relationships with traditional media,
social media, and business networks
- appreciate public affairs and social and environmental responsibility
The Department of Communication offers you the essential tools you need to be successful in this growing field. ENMU offers opportunities to engage in a variety of professional activities as part of your regular coursework.
If you major in public relations at ENMU, you can benefit from hands-on experience. Our student media facilities are top-notch, and you can receive guidance from outstanding faculty members. Courses you'll take include:
- Introduction to Public Relations
- Public Relations Techniques
- Public Relations Cases and Campaigns
- Publication Design
- Applied Writing for Media
- In addition, you'll participate in courses that provide hands-on experience in actual public relations campaigns.
Hands-On Experience/Special Opportunities
Public Relations students at ENMU are provided with invaluable learning experiences through exclusive platforms such as HoundBytes, an online magazine dedicated to showcasing outstanding work crafted by our talented students, faculty, and staff. Students also have the unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience by actively participating in The Chase, a student-run newspaper.
As part of the student staff, they contribute to the creation and production of a full-size broadsheet publication. Students are granted access to our state-of-the-art lab, equipped with cutting-edge tools such as Adobe Creative Suite, audio software, and editing programs. This immersive environment fosters growth and collaboration, allowing students to delve into various mediums, including recordings. All of these extraordinary opportunities are readily available from your very first semester and continue throughout your undergraduate career.
Faculty and Advising
The Department of Communication faculty are committed to responsible academic advising. ENMU's low student-to-faculty ratio will provide you with personal attention from your professors. You'll find opportunities in hands-on research and other field experiences that you wouldn't find at a larger institution. The University also has a reputable record regarding student success in the public relations field.
Scholarships and Financial Assistance
We are committed to helping you finance your education. In addition to grants, loans, and work-study offered University-wide, the College of Fine Arts offers scholarships for current students. Additionally, many ENMU students work part-time jobs on campus to help finance their education.
Public Relations majors can look forward to careers including:
- Professional speakers
- Media relations specialists
- Media buyers
- International relations specialists
- Corporate communication specialists
- Graphic design managers
- Event planners
- Public information officers
- Customer service representatives
- University information directors
- Magazine publishers
Additional Degree Information
On our degree plans page, you can find additional information about the Bachelor of Arts or Science in Communication, Emphasis in public relations degree, including the courses you will take when you're a public relations major at Eastern.