The ENMU Department of Physical Sciences offers courses of study in aviation science, chemistry, environmental science, forensic science, geology and physics. Our bachelor's degrees in chemistry and biochemistry are certified by the American Chemical Society (ACS).
The following undergraduate degrees fall under the Department of Physical Sciences:
- Aviation Science
- Biochemistry – ACS Certified
- Chemistry – ACS Certified
- Chemistry Bachelor's to Master's Plan
- Chemistry with an emphasis in Pre-Medicine
- Chemistry with Secondary Science licensure
- Environmental Science
- Forensic Chemistry
- Forensic Science
- Aviation Science BAAS
Physical Sciences Faculty
When you major in a physical science at ENMU, you'll find the department boasts an extremely experienced and versatile faculty with years of training in the real world. We offer high quality classes as well as intensive laboratory and field experiences.
ENMU's low student-to-faculty ratio will provide you with personal attention from your professors, and you'll find opportunities in hands-on research and other field experiences that you wouldn't find at a larger institution.
Chemistry/Biochemistry, Environmental Science and Geology
In these programs, you'll get hands-on experience with modern instrumentation such as:
- Chirascan spectrometer
- gas chromatograph/mass spectrometer (GC/MS)
- high performance liquid chromatograph (HPLC)
- infrared spectrometer and microscope (FT/IR)
- isothermal titration calorimeter, photobioreactor
- thermogravimetric analyzer (TGA)
- UV/visible spectrometer
- X-ray diffraction (XRD)
- X-ray fluorescence (XRF)
- And other advanced instruments.
You also can get hands-on experience with projects in:
- Drug design and synthesis
- Environmental and water testing
- Organic solar cells
- Taurine biosynthesis
- Theoretical computations
Miles Mineral Museum
The department also maintains the Miles Mineral Museum. In August 1966, ENMU purchased a collection of approximately 2,500 geological, archaeological and anthropological specimens. On Feb. 23, 1969, the Miles Museum was opened on the ENMU campus.
Department of Physical Sciences
1500 S Ave K
Portales, NM 88130