The Master of Special Education with emphasis in early childhood special education is designed for you if you are an educator possessing or seeking a license in special education. The degree is also for those who may not plan to teach in a public school setting, but are interested in working in an early intervention or an early care and education community setting. This is not a licensure program and does not lead to licensure in either early childhood or special education, but will advance your knowledge and skills if you are interested in working with infants, toddlers, young children and their families.
- Available 100% online
- Thesis and non-thesis option
- Special education licensure may be pursued concurrently
- Affordable tuition
Affordable & Quality Master's in Special Education
Eastern New Mexico University has the second lowest bachelor's and master's-level tuition in the state of New Mexico, and has one of the most affordable graduate tuition rates in the United States. If you are an out-of-state student enrolling in 6 or fewer hours per semester, you'll pay tuition and fees at the low in-state rate. Eligible students may apply for the TEACH grant and Graduate Assistantships are also available through application to the ENMU Graduate School.
Career Opportunities with a Master of Special Education
With a master's degree in early childhood special education, you can pursue a career in:
- Early intervention (Part C - Birth to 3)
- Community care and education programs
- Early Head Start/Head Start
- Community Pre-K programs; or with a license – school-based Pre-K programs
- Inclusive preschools and Grades K-3 (with license in ECE, ELED or SPED)
- Consulting for Training and Technical Assistance Programs (statewide TTAPs), FOCUS programs, etc.
Admission Requirements for Education Graduate Program
If you fail to satisfy all of the following requirements for admission within your first 12 hours of graduate study at ENMU, you will be reclassified as a non-degree seeking student and will not be allowed to register for further graduate coursework until all requirements for admission are fulfilled:
- Admission to the Graduate School.
- An undergraduate GPA of 3.00. If your grade point averages between 2.80 and 2.99, you will be considered for "conditional" admission; if accepted, you must earn a minimum GPA of 3.00 with no grade less than a "B" during your first semester or the first 9 hours.
- A letter of application to the Graduate School. The letter should specify the intended area of emphasis and how an advanced degree in education would advance your career.
- A confirmation of admission into the regular or alternate licensure program.
Master of Special Education with Emphasis in Early Childhood Special Education (36 hours, Non-thesis option)
Degree information shown on this page is based on the 2020–22 Graduate Catalog.
Special Education Core Requirements (12 hours)
|EDF 500 Educational Research||3|
|EDF 515 Theories of Learning and Motivation||3|
|EDF 530 Assessment||3|
|SPED 503 Special Education Law||3|
|SPED 596 Graduate Capstone Project||3|
Required Early Childhood Special Education Emphasis Courses (21 hours)
|SPED 508 Foundations of Early Childhood Special Education||3|
|SPED 512 Language and Learning||3|
|SPED 515 Positive Supports for Learning||3|
|SPED 523 Assessment and Programming for Early Childhood Special Education||3|
|SPED 525 Early Childhood Special Education Program Evaluation||3|
|SPED 543 Communication and Collaboration Methods||3|
|SPED 501 Introduction to Exceptional Students||3|
Required Elective Courses (6 hours)
You must complete 6 hours of electives selected with adviser approval.
Educational Studies Comprehensive Exams
If you are interested in pursuing a master's in early childhood special education please submit an application or contact us for more information.
All required admission materials should be sent directly to the Graduate School:
ENMU Station 24
1500 S Ave K
Portales, NM 88130
ENMU combines an engaging learning environment with current technology to provide a rich educational experience. We focus on preparing students for careers and advanced study; promoting citizenship and leadership skills and values; supporting excellence in teaching and research; and empowering students to respond to a rapidly changing world. With affordable tuition, evening classes as well as select online courses, we offer an education that fits your lifestyle and puts your career goals within reach. Apply now or contact us for further information on how to advance your career by earning a Master of Special Education with Emphasis in Early Childhood Special Education.