ENMU offers a Master of Arts in Counseling. This program gives you the knowledge and skills to practice successfully as a professional counselor. When you graduate from this program, you will be qualified to pursue licensure/certification as a professional clinical mental health counselor (M.A.). The counseling program is a residential program with classes held on the ENMU-Portales campus, through distance education (when content is appropriate), and through intensive weekends.
If you are a non-counseling candidate (teacher, administrator), you may request permission to take courses independently or as a concentration in other degree programs.
- Coursework consistent with the core area standards established by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Programs (CACREP)
- Program currently seeking CACREP accreditation
- Exceptional quality and reasonable cost
Affordable Master's in Counseling
Eastern New Mexico University has the second lowest master's-level tuition in the state of New Mexico, and has one of the most affordable graduate tuition rates in the United States. If you are an out-of-state student enrolling in 6 or fewer hours per semester, you'll pay tuition and fees at the low in-state rate. Additionally, there are a limited number of Graduate Assistantships available through application to the ENMU Graduate School.
Career Opportunities with a Master of Arts in Counseling
With a master's degree in Counseling, you can pursue licensure as a professional mental health counselor.
Admission Requirements for Master's in Counseling Program
To apply to the Graduate School for admission to one of the master's degree programs in counseling, you must meet the general Graduate School Admission Requirements. Admission to the Graduate School does not mean you are admitted to a specific master's degree program.
Consideration for admission is based upon the following criteria:
- Admission to the Graduate School
- An undergraduate GPA of 3.00. If you have a GPA under 3.0, you may be considered for "provisional admission." In this case, you must earn a minimum GPA of 3.00 during the first semester or the first 9 hours of enrollment.
- You must send a letter of application to the counseling program coordinator. The letter should specify your intended area of emphasis and how completion of the program would advance your career goals.
- Two letters of recommendation attesting to your motivation and ability to succeed in a graduate counseling program. These letters must be from professional and/or academic references.
All letters should be sent electronically to
ENMU Station 24
1500 S Ave K Portales, NM 88130
New Mexico Expanding Opportunities Project (NMEOP)
ENMU is a partner with the New Mexico Expanding Opportunities Project (NMEOP), which provides financial incentives, learning opportunities and networking if you plan to serve as a school counselor in New Mexico.
Master of Arts in Counseling Degree Information
You can learn more about this degree and view course information in the Graduate Catalog.
If you are interested in pursuing a Master of Arts in Counseling please submit an application or contact us for more information.
All required admission materials should be sent directly to the Graduate School:
Counseling Social Media Pages:
ENMU combines an engaging learning environment with current technology to provide a rich educational experience. We focus on preparing students for careers and advanced study; promoting citizenship and leadership skills and values; supporting excellence in teaching and research; and empowering students to respond to a rapidly changing world. With affordable tuition, evening classes as well as select online courses, we offer an education that fits your lifestyle and puts your career goals within reach. Apply now or contact us for further information on how to advance your career by earning a Master of Arts in Counseling.