Graduate-Level TESOL Endorsement Program
Flexible, Affordable TESOL Endorsement with One- and Two-Year Options Available
Complete the form below to get more information about our TESOL Endorsement
TESOL Endorsement Program Details
The TESOL endorsement is a two-year, four-course, 12-hour graduate-level program leading to a TESOL endorsement. The 12 hours you earn in this program may also be counted toward the Master of Education with a concentration in English as a Second Language or Pedagogy and Learning with a concentration in ESL. For endorsement in any other state, please consult your credentialing agency for reciprocity.
The Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Endorsement for the state of New Mexico provides you with a comprehensive professional development model to expand your ability to address social, cultural, educational and linguistic factors that impact the achievement of English learners in today's diverse classrooms. This program is ideal for in-service teachers.
- One-or-two-year program
- No campus attendance
- Flexible scheduling (at your district location) to meet the needs of teachers
- Collaborative work groups
- Experiential learning
- Ties to classroom and school activity
- Practical and relevant learning experiences
- Affordable tuition
Innovative Characteristics of the TESOL Endorsement Program Delivery Model
- All course materials are delivered to the meeting sites and presented by the facilitator/instructor presented via twoway distance facilities, or an internet class. Ongoing direction throughout the semester is provided via email and telephone.
- This delivery model provides effective professional development for district teachers. As a result, immediate classroom application puts theory into practice.
- Teachers assume responsibility for their own learning as mature professionals through reflective practice.
How the TESOL Endorsement Program Works
- An initial meeting for each course will be scheduled to outline the requirements, introduce the course objectives and answer questions. This meeting will take approximately three hours either online or in case of a district cohort, in person.
- Learning teams will be developed; team leaders will be selected.
- Team leaders will be responsible for communication with the instructor via email or telephone.
- Individuals and teams will be responsible for:
- Developing a reflective journal
- Individual activities assigned by the instructor
- Collaborative activities as a cohort
- Project collaboration
- A final meeting will be held at the end of the semester for each course.
NMPED Recognized TESOL Endorsement Program
The New Mexico Public Education Department (NMPED) had recognized the ENMU TESOL Endorsement Program as an effective means to enhance teachers’ ability to address the diverse needs and contributions of an increasing number of English learners in today’s classrooms.
In addition to meeting requirements (12 graduate credits) for the fulfillment of the TESOL Endorsement, the 12 hours earned may be counted toward a Master of Education with a concentration in English as a Second language or a concentration in Pedagogy and Learning with an emphasis in ESL. All classes are aligned with the Common Core. Students who complete the ENMU TESOL Endorsement Program and have 6 hours of a foreign language and 6 hours of diversity, cultural study, literacy development, or assessment will not be required to take the New Mexico TESOL endorsement exam.
TESOL Endorsement Required Coursework
Degree information shown on this page is based on the 2020–22 Graduate Catalog.
|BLED 580 ESL Methods||3|
|BLED 530 Language Assessment and Placement of Bilingual Students||3|
|BLED 588 Linguistics for ESL||3|
|BLED 590 TESOL Endorsement Graduate Project||3|
NMPED also requires 12 credit hours of undergraduate or graduate coursework in culture and ESL pedagogy plus 6 hours in any single language other than English.
- Adds a TESOL endorsement to a current or new New Mexico teaching license
- All courses may be applied toward a Master of Education degree
Scholarships and Financial Assistance
ENMU is committed to helping you finance your education. You may have the opportunity to apply for available graduate assistantships and teaching assistantships.