The Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences Pre-Professional Education Concentration is designed to introduce you to the field of education by providing broad exposure to various educational disciplines:
Each BAAS degree requires you to have a primary concentration and a secondary concentration. If your career-technical credit takes care of your primary concentration area for this program, you'll take just eight classes (24 hours) to earn your Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences degree at ENMU. Note: This concentration area does not meet New Mexico teacher licensure requirements.
Who will Benefit From this Degree Option?
- Community members – this program will provide you with a heightened awareness of various educational disciplines. You can become a more effective supporter of education in your community.
- Individuals interested in the field of counseling – this program provides you with a background in various educational disciplines.
- Individuals interested in the field of education – this program exposes you to the various educational disciplines that will allow you to determine your level of interest in teaching and aid in determining the discipline that meets your career objectives. Furthermore, some of your coursework could be applied to meet future licensure requirements.
- Parents – this program introduces you to the field of education that will improve your understanding of the educational process. If you are a parent, you can become a more effective participant in your children's education and you'll be better prepared to work with the local school district.
Do I Qualify for This BAAS Program?
Our Bachelor of Applied Arts and Science Pre-Professional Education Concentration will help you use your prior academic experience to complete your bachelor's degree.
You can enter our BAAS Program to earn your first bachelor's degree. To qualify you must have one of the following:
- Have an Associate of Applied Arts and Sciences (AAS) degree from an institution with accreditation recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) OR
- Have earned at least 30 credit hours in a career-technical related discipline from an institution with accreditation recognized by the CHEA
If you have questions about whether or not you can enter the BAAS program at ENMU, please contact Academic Services at .
Scholarships and Financial Assistance for Pre-Professional Education Students
ENMU is committed to helping you finance your education. You can get information about admissions scholarships and find out why more than $22 million in financial assistance was awarded to ENMU students last year. Once you are an enrolled ENMU student, you'll have access to even more scholarships.
Online Learning Format for Pre-Professional Education Concentration
Our Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences (BAAS) concentration in pre-professional education is designed to be completed 100% online, with students completing assignments, readings, tests and projects throughout the semester.
Recorded lectures via Mediasite will connect you with professors and other students on your own time. Student participation, using Mediasite, Canvas and Adobe Collaborate related to recorded lectures is done on your own schedule, rather than during a specific time.
Faculty and Advising for Pre-Professional Education Majors
The applied arts and sciences faculty are committed to responsible academic advising. This means we help you schedule the right courses at the right time to help you take the next step in your professional career. Faculty members are specialists in their areas of advising and are current with requirements for admission into the programs they advise so you get the academic advice you need, when you need it.
Academic Help and Resources for Pre-Professional Education
We want to make sure you get the support you need. We offer flexible tutoring services, including the ENMU Writing Center which is available to help you improve your writing and help you clearly communicate for written, school-related projects and assignments.
We also have online databases, journal articles and eBooks accessible through the Golden Library. ENMU librarians are available virtually, via phone and email to provide assistance, so you'll always have the help you need to take advantage of library resources.
See our distance learning library services
Instructors also offer live video support through Adobe Collaborate during office hours. For questions and concerns about homework assignments, projects and grades please email or call your professor.
Career Opportunities in Pre-Professional Education
When you receive a BAAS degree with a Pre-Professional Education Concentration, you can look forward to an enhanced career in your field. This might include new opportunities in management or a new career in a related field.
Career Services offers free job placement assistance to all students, so if you are looking for another job, we can help you find it.
Find out more about career services for ENMU students
BAAS Concentration: Pre-Professional Education
The BAAS program requires you to complete 120 hours to earn your bachelor's degree. Within those 120 hours, you must complete General Education Requirements, a primary concentration and a secondary concentration.
See what you will need for your BAAS
As a secondary concentration, Pre-Professional Education includes courses like:
- Child Growth, Development and Learning
- Adolescent Psychology
- Child Psychology
- Psychology of Adult Development
- CTE Foundations
- Foundations of Education and Learning
- Cultural and Linguistic Pluralism
- Family and Community Collaboration
- Introduction to Special Education
- Technology for the Classroom
- Elementary Education Content Area Literacy and Strategies
- Intro to Psychology