What is Financial Aid?

The Department of Education Federal student aid programs are the largest source of student aid in America. These programs provide more than $100 billion a year in grants, loans, and work-study assistance. Read on to find out more and to find out how to apply for this aid.

Financial Aid is financial assistance for eligible students to pay for educational expenses at an eligible postsecondary school (e.g., college, vocational school, graduate school). There are three categories of federal student aid: grants, work-study, and loans. Click on any of the following links to find out about the programs ENMU has to offer, as well as information about specific qualification requirements for each type of aid. Federal student aid can help cover expenses such as tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, and transportation

To find out if you or your children may qualify for financial aid, the first step is to apply for FAFSA online.

Types of Federal Aid


Grants, unlike loans, do not have to be repaid. Click the links below to learn more about grant programs available for eligible students pursuing a postsecondary education.



Campus-Based Aid

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Federal Work-Study (FWS), New Mexico Work-Study (NMWS) and Federal Perkins Loan programs are called campus-based programs because they're administered directly by the financial aid office at ENMU. Click the links below to learn more about these programs.

How much aid you receive from each of these programs depends on your financial need, on the amount of other aid you receive, and on the availability of funds at ENMU. Unlike the Federal Pell Grant Program, which provides funds to every eligible student, the campus-based programs provide a certain amount of funds for each participating school to administer each year. When the money for a program is gone, no more awards can be made from that program for that year. So, make sure you apply for federal student aid as early as you can.

Stafford Loans and PLUS Loans

In addition to Perkins Loans, ENMU administers the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program. These programs consist of what are generally known as Stafford Loans (for students) and PLUS Loans for parent. Click the links below to learn more about these programs.

For More Information Contact

Financial Aid
ENMU Station 20
1500 S Ave K
Portales, NM 88130
800.FOR.ENMU (800.367.3668)
Phone: 575.562.2194
Fax: 575.562.2198