The Master of Special Education with emphasis in general special education is designed for you if you are a professional educator possessing or seeking a license in special education. This degree is not a licensure program and does not lead to licensure in either early childhood or special education, but will advance your professional knowledge and skill level.
- 100% Online Program
- Affordable tuition
- Admission to the Graduate School.
- An undergraduate GPA of 3.0. Applicants with an undergraduate GPA between 2.8 and 2.99 will be considered for "conditional admission; if accepted, applicants must earn a minimum GPA of 3.0 with no grade less than a "B" during the first semester of enrollment.
- A photocopy of your Special Education Teaching License.
General Special Education (36 hours)
Note: Degree information on this page is based on the 2020-22 Graduate Catalog.
Core Requirements (15 hours)
|EDF 500 Educational Research||3|
|EDF 515 Theories of Learning and Motivation||3|
|EDF 530 Assessment||3|
|SPED 503 Special Education Law||3|
|SPED 596 Graduate Capstone Project||3|
General Special Education Emphasis (21 hours)
|SPED 505 Low Incidence Disabilities: Theory to Practice||3|
|SPED 509 Gifted: Theory to Practice||3|
|SPED 540 High Incidence Disabilities: Theory to Practice||3|
|SPED 548 Emotional Disturbance: Theory to Practice||3|
|SPED 508 Foundations of Early Child SPED OR
SPED 515 Positive Behavior Supports of Learning
|SPED 543 Communication and Collaboration Methods||3|
|SPED 552 Autism Spectrum Disorders||3|
- Level III special education teacher (with all qualifications)
- Case manager with companies working with individuals with special needs
- Parental advocate for children with special needs
- Education consultant
- Liaison between general education and special education
- Administrative liaison between special education department and schools
Scholarships and Financial Assistance
ENMU is committed to helping you finance your education. You may have the opportunity to apply for available graduate assistantships and teaching assistantships. For more information contact:
ENMU Graduate School
If you are interested in pursuing a master’s in general special education please submit an application or contact us for more information.
All required admission materials should be sent directly to the Graduate School:
ENMU Station 24
1500 S Ave K
Portales, NM 88130