The ENMU Runnels Gallery annually conducts the University Juried Art Exhibition as an opportunity for student artists across campus to submit their creative visual work in a competitive environment. The gallery believes creativity lives within us all and strongly encourages students across disciplines to enter their artwork to be considered for inclusion in this prestigious exhibition.
The gallery is committed to providing all students an opportunity to share their creative visual work in a public space for the campus community to experience.
Submission Deadline: Friday, March 4, 2022
Important Exhibition Dates
|Friday, March 4, 2022||Submission deadline|
|Friday, March 25, 2022||Deadline to have selected work delivered to the gallery|
|Friday, April 8, 2022||Exhibition opens to the general public|
|Friday, April 8, 2022 | Time TBA||Public artists' reception and awards concert|
|Friday, May 6, 2022||Exhibition closes|
All students currently enrolled at Eastern New Mexico University are eligible to enter the Runnels Gallery University Juried Art Exhibition.
Entry Fee and Number of Submissions Permitted
Entry fees are not collected for this exhibition. Artists may submit up to ten pieces of art.
Media and Size Restrictions
All media types are welcome. Artwork must be original, completed within one year of the entry deadline and may not have been previously shown at the Runnels Gallery. Artwork must be stable and capable of fitting through a standard doorway. Artwork that requires suspension from the ceiling, water, perishable food or electricity is prohibited.
Theme/Subject Matter Requirements
Artwork of any theme may be submitted to the exhibition. Artists will be adjudicated in the following areas and may consider these when selecting pieces for submission.
- First Impression – How powerful is the first impression?
- Originality and Creativity – To what degree of originality and creativity does the work speak?
- Artist's Voice – Is the artist's voice felt in the work and can their personal perspective of the world around them be seen?
Jury of Selections and Awards
Work submitted to the exhibition will be juried by external art professional(s). Exhibition awards include Best of Show, second place, third place, and honorable mention(s).
Acceptance into the Exhibition and Delivery of Work
- All artists will be notified about their acceptance through their ENMU email account.
- Artwork chosen for inclusion in the exhibition must be delivered to the Runnels Gallery by the required delivery date and must be finished (ready for presentation).
- The gallery reserves the right to refuse any work deemed unfinished or those which are delivered after the deadline.
- Accepted pieces must remain on display until the close of the exhibition and must be claimed within 30 days after the exhibition's conclusion.
- If artwork is unclaimed, it will become the property of the Runnels Gallery and the ENMU Department of Art.
- Artists are solely responsible for the delivery and retrieval of their work. The artist's name, title of the work, medium and price information must be secured to the back of the work and must be legible (type is preferred).
Presentation Ready Requirements
All work must be finished at the time of delivery. Presentation standards include:
- Submitted Two-Dimensional Work
- Work must be matted, framed, and properly wired in a professional manner. Suggested frame colors are white, black or silver. Suggested matte colors are white, black, charcoal, or any shade of gray. Secure wire hanging or French cleats only, no saw tooth hardware permitted.
- Paintings with large wooden stretchers with painted canvas overlap do not require framing.
- Dry mounting to foam/gator board with imagery flush (bleed off) to all four edges acceptable; no framing/matting required. Secure wire hanging or French cleats only, no saw tooth hardware permitted.
- Submitted Three-Dimensional Work
- Work must be stable.
- Work requiring special/custom stands for presentation must be provided by the artist at time of delivery.
Assistance in making a work presentable will be provided to any artist accepted into the exhibition. The Gallery Manager, Mr. Bryan Hahn will provide this service if he is contacted prior to exhibition deadlines.
How to Submit Work to the Exhibition
Artists may submit their work for this exhibition using the gallery's online submission form below. An online submission form must accompany each piece of art entered into the exhibition. In addition to the standard biographical information, the following information must be included:
- Title of piece
- Media type
- Sales price (if for sale)
- Unframed dimensions (inches only)
- 50 to 75-word artist statement describing or explaining the concept, the process, materials used, the goal of the project, etc.
- Photograph of the work being submitted (JPEG files only)
Artist's work will be juried based upon the photographic evidence of the artwork being submitted. Consider the following recommendations to best capture an art piece in a photograph:
- Artwork should be properly lit. Lighting that is too bright or too dark can negatively affect colors, diminish or hide detail and may create the inability to clearly and accurately see the work. When lighting artwork, glare can be avoided by removing glass or other protective elements in front of the artwork. Adjusting the angle of the artwork, camera or light source can also reduce glare. Avoid using lights that emit yellow or blue tones.
- Artwork should be level and positioned in the center of the photograph.
- Two-dimensional works must be photographed without matting and framing.
- Three-dimensional works must be photographed using a neutral background and stable surface. Consider using a lightbox to photograph three-dimensional work.
- Photographs should be focused properly.
- Adjust camera's image quality setting to "fine" or the highest resolution possible.
- File format must be JPEG.
- See the How to Photograph Your Artwork instrcutional sheet.
Eastern New Mexico University will exercise due care in handling all artwork submitted. ENMU, the Runnels Gallery, the Department of Art, the Golden Student Success Center or any of their agents will not be responsible for loss or damage to any artwork, whether such work is on display, in storage, or in transit to or from the artist. All accepted artwork must remain on display until the close of the exhibition. ENMU assumes the right to photograph any work for catalog or publicity purposes and to use the artist's name. The submission of artwork to this exhibit will be understood to imply agreement and consent on the part of the artist with the conditions set forth here. I hereby agree to the liability clause and to abide by all the rules and stipulations set forth in this exhibition.
2020 Selected Artists
|Artist Name||Title of Piece||Media Type||Dimensions in inches||Award Placement|
|Avery Anahí Loya||Brotherhood||Dry conté pastel on black paper||24x18|
|Brittney J. Juancho||Bliss||Oil Pastel||24x18|
|Camilla C. Hudson||Chained||Oil on Canvas||12x9|
|Camilla C. Hudson||Joy Ride in a Paint Box||Oil on Canvas||11x13|
|Devon Segura||Mortality||Oil on Canvas||11x17||First Place|
|Gene A. Vigil||Unrelenting||Charcoal||25x20|
|Isaac Kirsch||Figure #2||Pastel and charcoal on paper||18x24|
|Katherine J. Perelas||Fallen Fruit Wine Packaging||Package design||3.75 in x 4.75 in sticker on wine bottle|
|Katherine J. Perelas||Excuse me, sorry. I'll only need a few seconds to snap a picture.||Photography||34x 7.5||Third Place|
|Nicole D. Lohkamp||Village in the Trees||Traditional||10.5x16.5|
|Oliver Elizabeth Puckett||Aquatic Anomaly||Polymer Clay||14x15x11|
|Oliver Elizabeth Puckett||The Travelling Tortoise's Terrarium||Polymer clay and epoxy resin||19x10.5x8|
|Oliver Elizabeth Puckett||Damaged Waters||Polymer clay and epoxy resin||9x3.5x2.5||Best of Show|
|Raven Lente Lente||Graffiti Message||Oil on canvas panel||11x14|
|Rebecca Marie Darrup||Sunrise in the Saddle||Photography||8x10|
|Sierra Nicole Montoya||The Worlds Smallest Records||Acrylic on canvas||4x4 (each canvas)|
|Steven Carmona||Meltdown||Iron sculpture||8x6.5x11||Second Place|
|Trenna Paige McKinley||Saturated High||Digitally enhanced watercolor||11x14|
|Trenna Paige McKinley||The Beauty of Grace||Mixed media sculpture||15x12x12|
|Van Mawi Thang||David and the Lion||Ceramic||21x11x11|
|Van Mawi Thang||Remnants of Home||Oil on canvas||18x24|
|Zia M. Tenorio||Blue||Watercolor||9x12|
2019 Selected Artists
|Artist Name||Title of Piece||Media Type||Dimensions in inches||Award Placement|
|Camilla C. Hudson||A Piece of Sunshine||Oil painting||36x36||Second Place|
|Devon Segura||Colossus||Oil painting||18x24||First Place|
|Irene L. Martinez||Art of Obedience||Photography||8x10|
|Irene L. Martinez||The Tunnel's Anatomy||Photography||8x10||Third Place|
|Isaac A. Martinez||Darwin Award||Mixed media||18x9x9|
|Joy Erin Hughes||Maasai||Photography||8x10|
|Katherine J. Perelas||Die Neue Typography||Print design||25.5x11|
|Katherine J. Perelas||Poetry Posters||Print design||33x17|
|Kynzie Amarilla||Tibet||Oil painting||16x20|
|Melvis T. Hawkins||Shades of Brown||Clay sculpture||18x18x18|
|Keren Michele Perry||Forest Nymph||Red clay sculpture||16x6x7||Best of Show|
|Nathalia Loya Marquez||Salvation||Graphite drawing||18x24|
|Rajamia Drain||Beautiful Blooms||Booklet design||8x6|
|Raven G. Lente||Falling Apart||Charcoal drawing||84x24|
|Raven G. Lente||Still Here||Oil painting||9x12|
|Steven Jose Carmona||Excepted Mind||Acrylic and aerosol on canvas||24x12|
|Trenna Paige McKinley||I Am My Art||Watercolor||18x24|
|Trenna Paige McKinley||Dramatically Posed||Soft pastel||18x24|
|Van Mawi Thang||The Lonely||Graphite drawing||18x25|
|Vanessa L. Miranda||Sweetie||Oil painting||20x24|