You should major in chemistry at Eastern New Mexico University if you are interested in the following:
- Building a career in chemistry or biology-related fields
- Being competitive for applications to health profession schools
- Gaining essential life science research skills
- Improve critical thinking, problems solving and project planning skills
A more flexible, non-certified, inter-disciplinary bachelor’s degree program is available for students pursuing medical and industrial careers. In addition, you may be eligible to participate in an accelerated BS/MS degree program designed to lead to the completion of both undergraduate and graduate chemistry degrees in only five and a half years.
Special Services and Opportunities
As a chemistry major at ENMU, you’ll have the opportunity to participate in faculty-mentored research projects, which often lead to peer-reviewed publications and/or presentation at local/regional/national scientific meetings. Several programs are available for additional travel to and training at national laboratories, research institutes and Ph.D. granting schools. Chemistry students at ENMU have the unique opportunity as undergraduates to use lab equipment. Additionally, paid positions working on campus in the labs participating in research projects are available. You’ll learn a range of techniques in: protein purification, SDS-PAGE, protein crystallization, bioinformatics, molecular biology, enzymology and many other options.
Service and Mutual Interest Organizations
The Chemistry Club provides you with the opportunity to use your chemistry skills and hold leadership positions on campus.
Scholarship and Financial Assistance
We are committed to helping you finance your education. Over 80% of our students receive some sort of financial assistance. Additionally, you may be eligible to apply for funding assistance through programs designed to encourage underrepresented groups to pursue careers in science and faculty mentored research projects.
With increasing demand for technical expertise, as a chemistry major, you can look forward to a career in:
- Health Professions: medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, nursing, veterinary science, respiratory therapy
- Sciences: chemistry, molecular biology, microbiology, medical genetics, biotechnology, environmental science
- Policy, Management, Industries: Food inspection agency, industrial quality control, intellectual property, molecular diagnostics, pharmaceuticals, instrumentation development
In addition, our biochemistry degree can be designed to provide an exceptionally strong background for you to apply to both law and medical schools.
High School Courses
If you are interested in majoring in chemistry at ENMU, your high school curriculum should include mathematics, chemistry, physics and English.
Additional Degree Information
You can find additional information about the Bachelor of Science in Chemistry degree, including the courses you will take when you're a chemistry major at Eastern.