Safety, Security & Health

ENMU recognizes the importance of student safety and health and having necessary resources available to students while traveling abroad on ENMU-sanctioned programs and activities.  The University offers La Casa Student Health Services to assist you with your travel health preparation.

Information and Resources

Learn About the Country and Stay Informed

Read the State Department's Consular Info for the country in which you plan to study or visit. Learn about the history, culture, politics, and customs of the country/countries in which you will study and travel, and respect the country's customs, manners, rules, and laws.  Stay informed about current and developing situations through local and independent media.

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)

Register for your trip with the U.S. Department of State.  This free service will provide important health, safety and security updates for your host country and better assist you in case of an emergency

La Casa Student Health Services

Schedule a travel health visit appointment at the La Casa Student Health Services well in advance of your program. One of the most important things you can do to encourage a successful experience abroad is to take care of your health before you go.

Travel Health Resources


ENMU Recommends you work with the host institution on purchasing insurance.

Emergencies Abroad

In the event of an emergency situation, Eastern New Mexico University will be involved in securing the health and welfare of ENMU students on education abroad experiences. In order to report an emergency or to seek assistance, please contact:

During regular office hours (Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 5p.m.):

International Programs +1.575.562.4697 [email protected]

During evening, weekend, or holidays, or in the event where office personnel cannot be reached:

Eastern New Mexico University Department of Public Safety: +1.575.562.2392

When you reach your campus representative or campus police, inform them of the nature of the crisis, your location, and other relevant details available to you.

Faculty-Led Programs: For students traveling abroad on a faculty-led program please note that our office will be in contact with your faculty leader in the event of an emergency situation.

Exchange/Affiliate Partner Programs: For students traveling abroad on exchange or affiliate programs please note that our office will be in contact with the appropriate affiliate or exchange partner in the event of an emergency situation.

During an emergency situation please remember to check your ENMU email regularly for correspondence from our office.